Wednesday, October 28, 2009

I want to be first...no me...no ME!!

I am totally blown away at the moment! Maybe it's just me. And I do get "blown away" a lot! LOL Anywho, our culture is all about being first. First at football, win the big trophy. My team is better than yours! I conducted the funeral of a very precious lady the other day...she was a good grandmother! My grandmother is better than yours! My kid knows how to count and say his ABC's and can hit a baseball without a tee...my kid is better than yours! It seems everytime I turn around this concept of "being first" has invaded our thinking and culture and even religion!
What about being second? Is there something wrong with being second? In most competitions, second never does get the GOOD stuff nor the GOOD money or even the vaunted reputation that the blue ribbon winner gets! Think of some good second-placers...or can you? Greg Norman, Scottie Pippen, (I can hardly remember any!), ummm....I mean really, that is my point they're just forgettable!

But, I have something for you today! I have a paradigm shift in heart, thought and life, are you willing to be second to God? Are you willing to step aside and say, "You know what God YOU are first and I am second. I don't deserve to be first." Very interesting isn't it?

Jesus would say, "I am among you as one who serves." And we are to be Chrsit-like in EVERYWAY? Oh yeah, not even a hint of our own needs and desires!

I leave you with this: Colt McCoy and Sam Bradford, brothers in Christ, champions on the football field and SECOND TO THE LORD! Are we willing to do the same as these young men?

Check it out: iamsecond.com




3 comments:

Cindy Deister said...

Thanks for sharing! It is a challenge to let go of competition, and not say anything when someone compares our "Stuff" (or kids), but I think silence speaks loudly in those situations. I hope to try it soon...

Paul Castleman said...

Maybe second needs to become dead last. Or maybe we just need to be satisfied with where we are and what we have. All in all, this touches on something a lot of people struggle with...even Jesus struggled with it...but he still did it...HUMILITY! Love ya sis! I certainly need to practice what I preach too! LOL

Unknown said...

you are invited to follow my blog